SUPPORTING YOUTH IN RENFREW COUNTY
In the beginning:
Columbus House was formed in 1988, after a group of local businessmen and educators became concerned with students who were having difficulties living at home, but who had no other living options.
Out of these discussions, Columbus House was born; a housing option for youth which would allow the opportunity to pursue their education. Supported and sponsored by the local Knights of Columbus, Columbus House opened its doors to young women in 1990, and to young men in November of that same year.
To better serve the diverse needs of today's youth, the Young Parent Support Program (YPSP) was introduced in 1999, and continues to offer young mothers the opportunity to complete their Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) while their children are engaged in developmental programming on-site.
Outreach services are available for young families in the rural areas of the County. This service is also available for those families who are unable to attend the full-time day program in either Renfrew or Pembroke. This program is more individualized to suit the needs of the client. A transitional worker is available through the residential program for continued support to past residential clients.
One emergency bed for youth is available at each of the residences. These beds are available for 3 - 5 days. Columbus House is a partner in 'Safe Shelter for Youth' (a collaborative involving Renfrew County Family & Children's Services, The Phoenix Centre, and United Way). Please call (613) 732-2791 or contact Tiffiny Hughes for access to these beds.
Since its inception, Columbus House has assisted over 2,000 youth in Renfrew County.
Board of Directors 2017/2018
- Judy Hill, President - Retired Educational Assistant
- John Huff, Treasurer - Business Owner/Murphy Funeral Home
- Sarah Gervais, Secretary - Community Representitive
- Alan Armstrong - Retired Business Professional
- Laurie Serran - Financial Advisor/Frank Carroll Financial
- Glen Price - Lawyer/Private Practice
- Michelle Corriveau - High School Teacher/Francophone
- Bill Britton - Retired Business Professional
- Scott Lafrenniere - Elementary School Teacher